Saturday, December 1, 2012

Oh Galilee!

The resort we stayed in was great. We had four people to each little apartment located right on the coast of the Sea of Galilee. My roommates for the trip, Jaelyn and Katie, are a couple of cuties and I was really happy to live with them. Halfway through the time we spent at Galilee our ceiling started to leak because it was raining a lot so we had to move to a completely different room which was nice because it was clean and fresh.

The Sea if Galilee is about the size of Utah Lake, only shorter and wider so don't picture anything huge here, but it is a decent size.

Just so ya know... There are a total of 83 students on the study abroad but for field trips we are divided by religion course. Therefore I spent the majority of my time at the Galilee with Professor Judd and the forty-two people in my class. So when I say "we" I don't mean everyone, just this group of 42.

Ok, so, after the first night at the resort we went on our first field trip. Started off the morning early with a boat ride across the sea. The water was extremely smooth and the light reflected from off the surface creating a monochromatic color scheme with the fog covered mountains and the light blue sky in the background.

Liddy let me listen to her friend Caleb's rendition of the hymn Master the Tempest is Raging which is not available online as far as I know but it is so good. I wish everyone could hear it. I looked out across the water and tried to imagine the Savior walking towards me. Beckoning unto me. I hope that I can have faith like Peter, to descend from my boat and put my faith in Christ (Matt. 14:22-33).

After a devotional from Brother Judd the ship captain played some awesome Christian gospel music and we sailed into a harbor. When I got off the ship the sun was very bright it reflected off the water and everything looked white and the wooden ship was a dark silhouette behind me.

After we docked we went and watched this great little old-school film about the Ginosar boat. Which is an ancient boat named after the small Israeli village it was found by when the sea water receded during a time of drought. The fishing vessel is typical of those used on the lake around 1st century AD so some have dubbed the ship the "Jesus Boat".


No comments:

Post a Comment