Saturday, December 1, 2012

All in a day... (Nov. 29)

My blog posts are not always in chronological order and I have not finished blogging about everything I did in the Galilee but I just decided I that I want to talk about the events of Nov. 29 because lots of things happened.

We drove back south to Jerusalem down the coast instead of through the Jordan River valley (the way we went up to the Galilee). First, we went to Mount Carmel, the traditional spot upon which the prophet Elijah challenged the priests of Baal to a "sacrifice contest". Today there stands a Catholic monastery at the summit operated by Carmelites (Lauren told me about them!). The views from the monastery were spectacular. Green fields and mountains all around. Members of the class performed a Baal skit. We have some clever people and they rewrote the story with a Princess Bride twist. 

Side note: As is to be expected, living with 82 of the same people for four months leads to the development of some interesting social dynamics. We live, study, eat, worship, travel and everything all the time together. There is a significant female majority, only 23 guys. I am pretty sure there are at least six "official" couples. If a girl starts to talk more to a guy then people start thinking that there is something going on between them... 

Perhaps with good reason. After all, there is a couple here that got engaged after the first three weeks. They are getting married in December. 

Naturally I am closer to people that are in my religion class core group because I spend more time with them. I am so grateful I was placed in the group I am in. 

It can be easy to get comfortable in one's little social circle at the center. Being happy and social all the time is exhausting. So I don't do it. I admit to retreating to my room and being rather quiet sometimes. But I have formed some wonderful friendships here. I have met so many people that I respect and admire. I have learned a lot about how to interact with others and find connections even when I doubt the existence of common ground between us. But we always have our shared beliefs. This can be a very unifying factor. 

It will be interesting to see everyone in the "real world". 

Now back to the Baal skit. Back at the beginning of the semester... when no one really knew anyone Liddy and I totally called it. Michael and Mary... all the way!

Michael is a Biblical scholar/ all around genius. When I asked him about how he knew so much about the Old Testament he said he doesn't have Facebook, never watches TV, rarely watches movies... okay I guess that kind of explains it but the intellectual level of this guy doesn't come simply from abstaining from these things. He is incredible.

Mary is a sweetheart. The first day at the airport I stayed with her because she thought she had lost her bag. She is extremely smart and I don't think anyone studies at the center more than her. And she has the best sense of style. 

Now, back to the Baal skit. Michael and Mary are in the Baal skit. Michael cast as the handsome Wesley  Elijah and Mary as Princess Buttercup/ Israel. 

At the end of the skit when the priests of Baal are defeated by the God of Elijah Michael took the blindfold off of Mary. Awkwardly dipped her and then proceeded to kiss her in front of the entire class. 

This was completely uncharacteristic behavior. At this point in the semester everyone had an inkling that something might be going down between them but this was so dramatic. Michael will never reveal anything about his romantic life. At the beginning of the semester he wouldn't even let a girl touch him... now this!

They have not stopped holding hands since, no, not even for meals. 

Anyway... Liddy and I were pleased with the fruition of our predictions. 

We are going crazy. The end of the semester and everyone is cracking. 

The day continues:

We went to an overlook of Haifa, a large Israeli port city. The overlook was in the Baha'i gardens which are above the headquarters of the Baha'i faith. Baha'i beliefs seem to have originated from Shiite Islam but they are more universalistic and syncretistic. They believe that there is only one God, that all world religions have been progressive stages for the revelation of God's will through the Baha'Ullah (their messenger), and all humans are of one universal race. Therefore, they accept Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad. Really interesting concepts. 

We then went to a Templer cemetery in Haifa. I like cemeteries. Something about being in the presence of stones representing lives once lived is very thought provoking to me. The contrast of the green gardens to the bones laying in the earth. I felt strongly as I sat amongst the trees in the cemetery that God is so aware of each and every one of His children during mortality. But this individualized care and understanding does not end in death. 

After the cemetery we went to Caesarea Maritima. A splendid city built by Herod the Great, Caesarea was a field of missionary labor for Philip (Acts 8:40), Paul (Acts 9:29-30) and Peter (Acts 10). The historian Eusebius lived here. 

Caesarea was the base for the Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who traveled from there to jerusalem to keep watch over the Jews during Passover and thus became involved with the trial of Jesus. 

The Mediterranean was absolutely glorious. The sand was very fine and covered with shells. 

Then we hopped back on the bus to head back to Jerusalem. Bus rides create a very interesting dynamic. Sometimes one sits for hours next to the same person. Talking and sleeping. I have learned a lot about others from bus rides. 

I was happier than I thought I would be to come back to the Jerusalem Center. I felt the excited shivers work their way through me as I carried my heavy backpack down the flights of stairs to the fourth floor where I live. Christmas decorations and lights were all around. A beautiful nativity was set up at the end of the hallway of the eight floor. I was so happy to be back with my usual roommates and cozy bed. 

Since we were at the Galilee during Thanksgiving our wonderful chef Achmed decided to make a Thanksgiving meal for us. It was amazing. I walked into the Oasis (the cafeteria) and my jaw dropped. They had Turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce and rolls and yams. And asparagus! my favorite. 

Everything with an Israeli touch. It was a very thoughtful meal and we gave the chefs a standing ovation for the work they did. 

After dinner I went and chatted with Paul, Quin, Liddy, Jackson and Rach in the fourth floor lobby and we spoke of many a silly wonderful thing. 

Since coming here I have been telling Liddy that I want to cut my hair. She has haircutting scissors. I told her I wanted to chop it off tonight so we went and I put my hair in a ponytail and I told her to cut it and she did. She took the four or something inches of thin, dark Rachel hair in her fist out into the lobby to see the reaction she got. I wasn't there to see it but apparently it was a good one. General disbelief and "what did you do?" Then Quin's dream came true and he wrapped my hair tie with his own and turned it into a ponytail. 

After things calmed down Liddy and I cozied up in her room with blankets and watched the documentary of a Japanese sushi chef Jiro Dreams of Sushi which I recommend to everyone because it was fantastic. And we salivated for sushi for the entire film. Liddy is half-Japanese and when we get back to Provo I am going to her house where her mom is going to make some tasty rolls. 

I went to bed at around 11pm. What a day. 




1 comment:

  1. this is one of my favorite posts! i don't know why. I really didn't mind that there were no pictures. I liked the way you told the story. everything is constantly interesting for you there!
    & also. glad you watched the sushi movie! Jiro is so great! we have to have a sushi date when you come back as well.

    ReplyDelete