Saturday, December 1, 2012

Mount of Beautitudes

This mount is the traditional location where Christ gave the "Sermon on the Mount" found in Matthew 5-7. The nine statements found in Matthew 5:3-11 each begin with the phrase "Blessed are.." and are traditionally called "the Beatitudes" from the Latin word beatus meaning blessed or happy. Professor Judd gave us time to think and share which beatitude was our favorite if we so chose.

I didn't share anything that day... I don't know that I have a favorite but the line "blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God" resonated with many of the thoughts I have had lately.

Professor Judd gets super stressed out at field trips because he is always trying to keep us on schedule...

But throughout the time at the Galilee he was more relaxed and calm because we had plenty of time at most sites.

We had at least an hour to sit on the grounds of the Roman Catholic Church of the Beatitudes and privately ponder. The weather was perfect. Sunshine with a bit of a breeze. The gardens surrounding the church are very well maintained with colorful flowers. I sat and wrote down some thoughts and drew a picture as birds chirped in the trees above me. I know, it was picture perfect.

Speaking of perfect, in Matthew 5:48 the Savior commands his disciples to "be ye therefore perfect". But before you stress out about this insurmountable task of attaining perfection know this; the Greek word "to become perfect" means "to become whole or complete". This semester has given me a lot of time to pause and reflect on the nature of Christ and His expectations of me vs. the expectations I have for myself. Hooray for the knowledge I have that through Christ I can achieve the level of completeness He desires for me.




1 comment: