Friday, November 2, 2012

Petra


I am sure my high school World History teacher Mr. Lindsey mentioned Petra. But I must have forgotten. Everyone knows about the Greeks and Romans but after seeing Petra I decided that the Nabateans deserve some more appreciation. The Nabateans had practically nothing but rocks out in the desert and they built this incredible city.

Here is my short history lesson:

The Nabatean people arrived in Petra around 400 BC, displacing the former inhabitants, the Edomites (Idumaeans).

Archaeological evidence reveals that the Nabateans rose to power due to their remarkable ability to control the limited water supply of their desert environment. They used water cisterns, dams and water conduits to create an artificial oasis.

They dominated Near Eastern trade for 600 years with their delicate eggshell-thin pottery and incense. They worshipped their gods through burning incense and animal sacrifices at open-air altars called high places or in temples. Elite Nabateans had the luck of being buried in rock cut tombs with carved facades. These facades have Persian and Egyptian influence. Greco-Roman influence is seen in later architecture.

We had roughly four hours to explore Petra on our own. I traveled around the site in a small group and we were able to see just about everything. I loved the scenic views, the friendly Bedouins, the camels and the freedom to wander around at my own pace. 

I had a really hard time picking through my photos. I took tons. Here is a sample.
Start off walking through a narrow canyon.

Then BOOM! All of a sudden "The Treasury" one of the most ornate facades in Petra, built as early as 100 BC. 



Camels and donkeys all over.


Bedouin women laying out their wares

amphitheater

tombs 

I am glad that we started early because the sun was hot, hot, hot


McKay making new friends

Bedouin girl


Bedouins live in tents woven with camel or goat hair

I was one of the first people to reach the monastery that morning. Really enjoyed the hike up to it.  

Tombs near monastery


Bedouin woman 

Bedouin woman herding goats

Anna, Lily and Scarlett

The monastery was my favorite spot

working hard


we were invited to stop for tea many times


Bedouin family relaxing in the cool shade of a tomb


Liddy rode her donkey (Andrew) all the way up to the high place

Felt like a different planet at times

view from the "The High Place"

view from the "The High Place"

altar




Sometimes the sandstone is a rainbow of purples, blues, yellows, reds


inside a beautiful tomb






Bedouin family




tombs




I didn't think I would enjoy riding a camel this much. But I did. We all did. 

Liddy's feet afterwards

This was such an incredible experience. Definitely one of my favorite days thus far. I wish everyone could go to Petra. Especially Mr. Lindsey. 

4 comments:

  1. WOW ... these pictures gave me oosebumps!!!!!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting these amazing pictures. You are amazing Rachel! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula!!! These pictures still give me goosebumps when I think of all I have seen and done.

      Delete
  2. A truly inspiring place and I loved your little history story to set the stage. This place is definitely on my bucket list. The photos are wonderful. I can just imagine the amphitheater packed with people...simply amazing. Thanks for sharing your trip through this blog. I pray for your continued peace & happiness out there! Godspeed - Bruce Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Lindsey!!! You're the best. I am so glad you saw this post. Petra was like a Mr. Lindsey playground.

      Delete