Sunday, November 4, 2012

Yad Vashem

We had a field trip several weeks ago to the Israeli Holocaust Museum led by my Israel teacher Ophir Yarden. He gave us the Israeli perspective on the Holocaust. 

People who survived the Holocaust and came to Israel did not really talk about their experience. There were many reasons for this; survivor's guilt, too overwhelming, PTSD... but ultimately it was the judgmental nature of Israeli society that stopped people from talking. Imagine how often if one did talk about it phrases similar to "it was impossible to survive" and then the response "well then, how did you survive?" would come up. There was no pride in being a survivor. There was one group that did talk, the Warsaw Ghetto fighters. They led an uprising that lasted for three months against the Germans. If one had a heroic story to share then it was fine to talk. Otherwise you were expected to keep your mouth shut. 

The event that ultimately changed Israeli perspective was the 1972 Munich Olympics in which Israeli athletes were murdered by the Palestinian terrorist group Black September. The wrestlers who represented the strength and power of Israel did not struggle before they were killed. This allowed Israelis to start thinking that there is honor in the suffering and death of Jews in the Holocaust. 

Yad Vashem is the largest Holocaust museum in the world. There are ten different exhibition areas that tell the story of the Holocaust from a Jewish perspective. In the United States we tend to focus on the atrocities that occurred during the Holocaust. This museum discussed the events leading up to the Holocaust and the lasting results as well. 

Ophir Yarden

He has a skin disease that does not allow hair to grow on his body. At first it was a mystery as to how he managed to get his kippah to stay on his head. The answer; a form of double-sided sticky tape. 

Mt. Herzl

He wears a cap over his head to avoid the kippah tan 

Ophir Yarden is an amazing teacher. My friend Rachel says I have an intellectual crush. Perhaps this is true. I loved attending his class. I am sad they are over. His lectures were incredible. I would sit in class and he would present information and my brain would connect all the dots. He did not connect them for me, no that was the magic of it.
 Judaism is very different from Mormonism. At first it was difficult to grasp a concept that was so foreign. Yet Ophir's style of presenting information was perfect for the way I learn and I come away from his class feeling like I have a solid grasp on Judaism. Last friday night I attended synagogue with him and a group of other students. He is a wonderful example of a man trying to do his best to live his beliefs.  I am so grateful for all that I have learned from him. 


2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this. I'd love to study Judaism more. & just other religions in general, just to get more knowledge. They are all so intriguing. I probably would've wanted a picture with him as well!! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was seriously the best. I have never been around many Jews in my life so I find them to be fascinating. The Israeli Jews are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete