Friday, September 14, 2012

Centered

 I wish that I could post more frequently but I have been so incredibly busy for the past two weeks (which is how long I have been here). My teachers assign a lot of reading. A lot. I haven't left the center since Tuesday. After six hours of class today I was so excited to finally go out and about in the city. But we are not allowed to leave the center today. The controversial film "Innocence of the Muslims" has incited riots all throughout the Middle East... and one of those protests occurred down the street near Damascus gate. For the record I have never felt unsafe here. I always feel extremely comfortable and welcome wherever I go. We will probably be allowed to leave tomorrow morning.

I feel like the United States has many misconceptions about the Middle East and likewise the Middle East has so many misconceptions about us. The media is   always concentrates on the extremes of situations. The news in the United States about the Middle East concentrates on terrorist threats, attacks and other volatile situations. Then one movie expressing extreme views of a few individuals leads to fatal anti-Western riots. In the end I suppose what I am trying to say is that the relationships between nations and people in this part of the world are much more complex than I realized. I know that I will learn more about the various dynamics as the semester progresses.

On a lighter note here are a few center pictures.



       Hanging out in the fourth floor lobby after church

A nice study day outside. This is my friend Liddy.


Here is Liddy studying some more.

Me studying and working on my wrist tan.


3 comments:

  1. Love the photo of Liddy studying solo and this last photo. An orange tree above you?
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pomegranate tree. And they are so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We hope you are having fun- the campus looks gorgeous!
    Evans Family

    ReplyDelete